Pages

Monday, 21 August 2017

Playing With Oxide Inks

Greetings lovely blog land people, I've been playing a lot with my Distress Oxide inks lately, I love how they blend together and with the release of 12 new colours and the promise of 12 more colours come October - please have Squeezed Lemonade amongst them - crafting playtime is a lot of fun.

I've also finally got the hang of creating droplets of water to help lift the colour, no expensive gadget, and to my delight I discovered that the failed attempts prior to now were down to spray bottles not right for the job and not down to my being useless. I bought 3 spray bottle misters - the kind that gardeners use - from my local supermarket, the trigger on them is much better than small pump bottles and they are perfect for the job, a short little squeeze makes big droplets, a full squeeze and we get a light mist.


I've been having a lot of fun creating panels to turn in to cards with the oxide inks that I have and adding water drops and splashes, and I'm loving the results. The top creation isn't a card but a panel that I'm going to frame for my wall. I fell in love with the Visible Image 'Curious Cats' stamp set when I saw it and had to acquire it, not sure the 3 bands of colour works well, but I'll experiment with this set for sure.

The set arrived on Friday morning and I had to play, my first attempt at using the set is a tad basic compared to some of the creations I've seen for this stamp, but not bad for 30 minutes work. I have a lot of ideas for using the set. There are a lot of other Visible Image stamps I'd like to add to my collection in the future as well. The stamps are fabulous quality and stamp like a dream.

Another oxide ink play card creation this week was a card for my nephews 16th birthday, how the years have flown, hard to believe that it was 16 years ago that I moved to Derby but it is and this year will mark 15 years of being married, it doesn't feel that long though! Mind you it doesn't feel like 16 years since my nephew was born. I can post the card now as his birthday has been and gone and I'm so glad that he loved it.

I started by heating embossing in white some of the "We Love Music" stamps that came free with issue 31 of Creative Stamping on to water colour card, I then used rainbow shades of distress oxide inks to create a rainbow effect on the card, spritzed with water and blotted off and allowed the card to dry. I heat embossed the 16 and Happy Birthday sentiment in WOW gold embossing powder using stamps from the "Timeless Moments" set that came with issue 44 of Creative Stamping.

The headphones die is by Fuzzy Lemon and I cut it twice in red and black card and paper pieced the image and used a silver Sharpie to colour the inside of the ear cones once I'd attached the headphones to the card. I decided to add a banner on the same black card I made the base card out of and finished the card off with a few star gems from my stash.

I've been playing with the oxide inks a lot recently, I love the creamy look they give and the texture that looks like chalk with shades of velvet but it isn't either. I don't know if its a new thing syndrome, but I'm finding that I'm reaching for the oxide inks more than the standard distress inks, although I do think that original distress ink colours are a lot more vibrant.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debs your cards are stunning. I have a few Distress Oxides and I do like them a lot. There is so much I want to do it is just finding the time. Enjoy the rest of the week. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful cards, my lemonade distress ink is my most used as its a colour that will pretty much go with all the other range of colours. Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work. I don't have any of them......yet...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards Debs - love the oxide backgrounds! Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x