Pages

Thursday, 7 September 2017

Bookmark Gift Cards

I recently took out a subscription to Making Cards magazine and this morning my first subscription issue arrived, the free papers this time were adorable and I decided to make a couple of book themed gift cards with them. I decided a few months back that I wanted to start including something on or in my cards that could have a use outside of the occasion I was sending the card for, and book marks are the obvious choice, and partnered with a National Book Token they make an easy all occasion gift as well.

When my subscription issue arrived on my door mat this morning I fell in love with the "Barry the Book Owl" papers that came with it and quickly made 3 book marks and 2 cards, I still have some toppers and backing papers to put to use as well.

As the papers were in shades of red and green, they gave me the perfect opportunity to use up some of the 'Christmas' red and green card blanks that I'd amassed over the past couple of years, having found them buried in a box of card stash recently.

As you can see on the main image for the green card I created a pocket from the papers trimmed from the card to put the bookmark in. All the bookmarks are cut with an Avery Elle Bookmark Elle-Ment die that I got from Seven Hills Crafts recently. I decided to take the white of the bookmark down and used 'Vintage Photo' Distress Ink to age the paper and the edges of the bookmark. I added a suitable sentiment embossed in gold to this book mark, tied a little piece of organza ribbon to the bottom and tucked it in to its pocket.

The leaves are supposed to represent leafs, I cut them from some paper with words on but when I stamped on to it it looked to 'busy' so I flipped the leaves and stamped on to the more muted pattern on the reverse and added some more distress ink to the edges and added them to the card with 3D foam squares. If anyone is interested the leaves were cut with dies from the Crafters Companion 'Scattered Leaves' die set and the wording comes from a set of stamps by Justrite called 'Antique Autumn Tags One'.

The second card I wanted to send a surprise to someone who has just done very well in their exams and I'm proud of them and wanted to send them a congrats for all their hard work.

I clearly managed to disguise the fact that the card holds a gift by cutting two 6cm lines into the card front on my glass cutting mat which were just a little wider than the book mark (5cm) and used the piece it created to slot the bookmark in to the card, in hindsight it would have been better to place the slits a little higher up but I'll correct that next card. From the front you could see the bookmark because I'd used the same paper to back the bookmark with so it blended in nicely, but still I wanted to add a sentiment. So I decided to add a piece that was wider than slot cut and attach it either side of the slot with 3D foam squares, so from the front you can't see what the card contains.

When you open the card on the inside you can see the bookmark, no adhesive or anything is necessary to hold the bookmark in place as the slot holds it firmly to the card. On the other side of the card I added another pocket that is as wide as a gift card and will pop the book token in there when I buy it later. I have already written the card for the recipient hence not showing that part of the card. I think these kind of cards are going to become a new addiction, they can be made for so many different occasions. By the way the congratulations sentiment comes from a set of stamps called "Everyday Sentiments" that came free with Making Cards, if you missed that issue, the stamp sets are available to buy via their online shop. I'll add a post on how I made the pocket in the next few weeks, I just need to take some photos.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Debs you have been very busy. The owls and the papers are brilliant. It is so nice to have a subscription to a great magazine. I think you will be making a lot more with this set. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous Debs - I do love adding things into cards and bookmarks work so well. Shabneez x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful fun cards and bookmarks, a great idea to add a little gift with the card. Emmax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are great, looking b forward to getting my copy even note now, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely idea Debs, love the cards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments on my cards and posts, they are very much appreciated, I'll get back to you as soon as I can if a reply is required. Hugs - Debs x